Monday, May 7, 2012

05/07/12

It's Monday and do I have a novel for you! In preparation, I started this week's update yesterday.

So, are you ready for the scoop?

Here we go!

On Wednesday we headed down to do a short set at Lafayette Live to plug Friday's show.

Here's the set:

"My Rx"
"Feed Me a Lie"
"Pocket and Soul"
"Heartkiller" - H.I.M. cover
"Out of Our Hands"

The all-around talented multi-instrumentalist, Ben Hanssens, joined us with some sax-action on "Out of Our Hands." It would be a ton of fun to get more peeps involved in jamming songs at acoustic shows (electric shows are are super calculated, making it more difficult). Shoot me a message and I'll get you some music.

After a couple months of regrouping and re-planning the event, the Artists United benefit took place on Friday night.

Mojo and Schumm got the show started off right with some twang. Initially the plan was for Mojo to be joined by the full Red & The Roosters crew, but issues came up. Many thanks to him for not canceling and soldiering on with the show! Mojo is one of my favorite guitarists in town. In addition to his great voice, the dude can play kazoo while jamming on guitar!! This is always good. :-)

Up next was Traveling, Broke, and Out of Gas. Artists United was their first of three shows of the weekend. Those dudes (and dudette) are troopers, for sure. They played Friday night without their second guitarist, but the four of them filled up the sonic space and delivered a great roots-y set. Cody & Rachael's vocals were superb! Additionally, upright bass through a full stack and a shredded bow from possessed viola jamming = awesome.

PLOT kept the show and energy rolling with their tasty blend of Hip Hop. Not only did they sound great, but they were the real-deal *visually* during their slot. Shane and Justin (aka Vision and Suspect) are top-notch, professional dudes too.

Side-note: I totally forgot that Shane and I had a college English class together... :-)

After PLOT, Minsky Kinks did their 3rd set of the night (they performed between the musical acts). Kristine, err Maella Cai Vane, runs a tight ship, and her and the other MK ladies (Roxie Vette, Roxie Despoiné, and Lady Daniella Del Toro) stole the show. They were naughty, the were tasteful, they were suggestive, they were classy, and they were... damn ENTERTAINING! The crowd was engaged and yelled their approval frequently!!

Finally, we powered up and closed down the night with some mean/raunchy rock.

Here's the set:

"My Rx"
"Feed Me a Lie"
"Pocket and Soul"
"Heartkiller" - H.I.M. cover
"Before it Gets to Me"
"A Veil Lifted"
"The Shadow I Will Leave
"Boys of Summer" - Don Henley/Atari's cover
"Out of Our Hands"

Photo by @RyanRollins

Overall, the night could be summed up by one word: FUN! Thanks to my fellow Artists United for putting on a great show, Brady Joseph for helping with sound, the Lafayette Theater crew (Ashley, Mike, and Seema) for busting it behind the scenes, and my boys Chris and Drew for being soldiers all night and helping out with the door.

So that we're all on the same page: while I received several personal 'thanks' and 'shout-outs' throughout the evening, I didn't make this event happen.

We did.

We made for a great team and the show couldn't have been pulled off without all of you!

Also, I'm super thankful for the Tippecanoe Arts Federation crew, the dudes from The Aardvark Eats, The Enders, The Mound Builders, my old pal Cody Hughes (Chemcoma), and all others in attendance for showing some scene love!! Kudos to Mr. Tim Brouk too for hooking up a sweet article to plug the event!

In the end, we raised $365 for charity. It's my hope that Artists United will continue on with new shows/lineups and keep raising money for great causes. If you're interested in keeping it rolling, get in touch with me.

I closed out the blog week at Aces rocking some unplugged tunes with my bros Marty C, James Saqui, and Kyle Bledsoe. Though Lafayette isn't that small of a town and I'm still building awareness on what I'm doing, I decided that I'd been playing a lot of the same original tunes and started a little cover-heavy.

Here's the set:

"Zzyzx Rd" - Stone Sour Cover
"Imagine" - John Lennon/A Perfect Circle cover
"When Doves Cry" * - Prince cover
"Amputee" - Oceansize cover
"Before it Gets to Me"
"Settling"
"Pocket and Soul"
"Out of Our Hands"

* Dan-O, the man at Aces Pub and a local celebrity, jumped up mid-set to play the Prince song. It was really him featuring me! :-)

The Aces crowd on Sunday nights always confuses me, but it's good confusion. There are always a ton of people there (most shut the place down at 3am) and they're really receptive to live music. James and Marty had great sets and Mr. Bledsoe downright set the stage on fire. That dude is an insane guitarist.

I'll be running the shindig down there on June 3rd and have the loud and proud IND crew there on July 21st.

There's your heads up. :-)

That does it for this week's update. I'm going to get down to business mixing the new ARCHDRIVE GOODBYE CD, booking, playing at the Purdue Farmers Market on Thursday, and promoting the next rock show (May 26th at The Knickerbocker: INFO & RSVP HERE) 

Remember, you can subscribe to the blog, follow @ChrisJuneIND on Twitter, and 'like' Chris June IND on Facebook. Sharing the links is appreciated! :-)

Also, get your free copy of "Before it Gets to Me" when you purchase Whistle When We Break Down from the Bandcamp Page! That's 4 songs for $3!!!
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!!!

Over and out